RE: GW Micro Announces Support for Java Applications

  • From: "Macarty, Jay {PBSG}" <Jay.Macarty@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:32:49 -0600

Ken,
Addressing this topic of binding to a specific screen reader, what I really
want is the best of both worlds. I want a technology agnostic access, just like
java uses for database access or messaging, where the java code itself uses a
generic interface with the exact implementation of getting the speech or
Braille out the door, so to speak, is handled by a service provider under that
interface.

As Jared points out, I'd like the flexibility of having support for 30
different speech synthesizers and 20 different Braille displays by creating a
service provider that channels its activities through a screen reader. On the
other hand, if I want to write a simple wsc wrapper around a SAPI interface and
be completely screen reader independent, I think my code should be able to
offer that just as well.

In truth, a java accessibility technology should strive to keep in line with
the java mantra "write once; run anywhere". Ideally, Access to what is
happening in a java application shouldn't be limited to only those screen
readers willing to implement some particular interface technology and the
screen reader in use shouldn't dictate how accessible java is. How effectively
we get there is still to be seen. <smile>