RE: GW Micro Announces Support for Java Applications

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 21:17:38 -0500

OK imagine for a second if it was part of the JVM instead of having stupid
access software deal with it. I know that Voice over is not up to the task
as of yet but at least Mac is heading in the right direction.  The JVM's
should not support access they should include access lacking that I should
not have to have window-eyes on my computer to use a java application.  If
you can imagine a day when the cell phones like the Google phone will just
talk that day I don't believe is that far off.  The problem is we are all
holding on to our favorite screen reader whether it be one screen reader or
a combination of two or three to do the tasks we need.  If you want to make
something like this fine lets fight to get it included in the framework and
make it accessible without a screen reader.  Narrarator is so close if
screen reading companies would just get out of the way and let it go.  I
point back when XP first came out and several of the screen reader companies
fought like bloody mad to have narrarator dumbed down and to this day it is
still dumb.

I guess what I am saying is why do we have to attach old and out of date
screen readers when we can access what we need and speak by default.?  What
is lacking in most speaking applications that sighted people are using is
cursor navigation and all that takes is an addition to current JVM's and
OS's.  With about 104 lines of Java code I made all swing applications talk
using SAPI 5   the only thing I would have had to add is the key navigation.
I know some others took the code I worked on and made it better and maybe
someday they will pass it back and I will go one step further the problem is
we still hang like dingle berries on the hair of life to these things we
call access software's and until we wipe them off we will not get the access
we need.  I am not a Mac user but I say go Mac and, I am not an Ipod user
but I say go Ipod now that the Nano talks on its own, I do not use an Iphone
but I say go Mac again way to move the entire access stuff over true it's
not generally available but the Iphone might be the first out of the box
true access device and that is just sick and wrong being that it's a touch
screen.

Dell just released a Dell mini with Ubuntu and flash drive that runs orca no
more money than $199 for a running operating system.  True to make it truly
nice you have to spend $349 which includes 2 gb of ram and 32 gb flash drive
but I don't care $349 and full access including Java and we cling to our
dingle berry... Sigh rant rant rant.

Ken