Re: GW Micro Announces Support for Java Applications

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:59:11 -0500

Ken, I can understand the position of not wanting to tie it to a single screen reader, but I'm confused about how you think this idea would be practical in the typical computing environment? I figured it more efficient to run a screen reader as part of the platform it's being run on, rather than being done specifically for every different kind of GUI component set or framework that comes along. Why bundle this up as another screen reader, when a user may have Window Eyes running the entire time they're in Windows and NOT using a Java application?

I can also understand why you don't like the access a user has to potential applications to be determined by which one screen reader they may or may not use. I'm sure a lot of JAWS users would be very appreciative if you wrote this into JAWS. I guess I'm a touch dim though on why Jay should do the business with creating the speech output when all he needs to do is link in with the object model that's sitting there waiting to do this kind of task for the program that tons of users already have installed and are familiar with? I've always thought that this sort of technology, screen readers and the like, are basically there to help separate the barrier between us and the things we want to use. Intuition tells me that using one core screen reader with the ability to meet all challengers with the least amount of needed effort for extension developer and end user alike is the ideal tool for anyone wanting to use a screen reader to access their technology. And it seems that creating another new tool for Java applications themselves instead of adapting the tools already established seems to go against this philosophy, for whatever it's worth.

Thought swelcome.

Jared

On 2/16/2009 7:01 PM, Ken Perry wrote:
Nod well If this works so well I have to ask the real good question.  Why
the heck are you using a screen reader at all?  I mean come on if your
object works so well with Java make it hook into sapi 5 and make a key set
for it and you have the first Java screen reader and no screen reader need
apply.

Ken