Re: Fwd: Floss manuals for people with vision impairment

  • From: Jared Wright <wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:20:22 -0400

Seconding Cena, I know they said PDF is easier, but if they could produce HTML editions without too much inconvenieence it'd be fantastic.

Jared

On 3/30/2010 3:53 PM, Chris Hofstader wrote:
Hi,

Deborah, the FSF membership coordinator, and I sent an email to the person in charge of Floss Manuals, the company that published the command line tutorial I mentioned earlier. Adam says that almost all of their books use GPL as their license and that he can provide their entire catalogue in PDF rolled up into a big .tar
file. His note is below.

This is all happening pretty fast so I haven't had the chance to take a look at the rest of the books they have but I'd bet that some will interest some of you.

If Jamal or Elf want, they can take the entire .tar open it up and put as much as they like on their sites. If PDF needs to be converted to text, I'm sure that won't be too hard.

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *adam hyde <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

hey Chris and Deborah,

All books from FLOSS Manuals are available under a free license and you
are welcome to use them as you choose for free as long as the same
license is maintained (we use the GPL for all books except 3 or 4 which
are either CC-BY-SA or FDL). We can provide PDF, plain html (each book
on one page) or odt. Probably for us the PDF is the easiest to provide.

Here is an example of a PDF from us:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/Ardour/FM_22Mar10.pdf

we can provide you with a tar of all the manuals in pdf if you like...

adam

Founder FLOSS Manuals
German mobile : + 49 177 4935122
Email : adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx