Re: Fruit basket program in Boo

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:14:01 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Vellu,
I accidentally deleted your last post about .NET and dynamic languages, so
am replying here.  I think it is true that dynamic languages used not to
work well with the .NET platform, but that has changed significantly over
the last year due to the IronPython project and development of the
"Dynamic Language Runtime" to support Python, Ruby, and other dynamic
languages. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/hugunin/archive/2007/04/30/a-dynamic-language-runtime-dlr.aspx

Since .NET is a runtime environment by its nature (all code is executed by
the Common Language Runtime), it makes sense that this platform should be
able to work well for dynamic as well as static languages.  Microsoft
originally emphasized C# as a newer and better version of the C language,
which is meant to be statically typed.  Other dynamic programming
constructs have been catching up since then.

JScript .NET is a an official, Microsoft supported scripting language for
the .NET platform.  It is the only official .NET language at present that
includes an Eval function for dynamically executing arbitrary code at
runtime.  I take advantage of this capability within EdSharp, allowing
users to program add-in code snippets that can do almost anything with
the EdSharp object model.

Concerning Groovy, JRuby, or other languages that are related to Java or
another language you already know well, please consider learning the
additional language elements that would enable you to contribute a fruit
basket program.  I have been able to leverage my knowledge of the .NET
platform so that learning another language related to it has not been that
difficult, at least for the purpose of doing a fruit basket program.
Doing so, in fact, has been a valuable learning experience for me, since
tackling a concrete, not large problem is a good way to get up and running
with a new language and gain insights into other programming approaches.

Best,
Jamal