Re: Fruit basket program alternatives for Learnability

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:25:31 -0400 (EDT)

I'm open to other kinds of comparitive programs, but do think the fruit
basket exercise is quite illuminating about language differences,
particularly for blind programmers.  There are many sites on the web
with program comparisons that focus on speed or other benchmarks.  As
blind programmers, we are particularly interested in how much work is
involved to create a GUI application -- one of the most challenging
things for us to do well in a sighted world that expects such
interfaces.  The fruit basket program also lets us experience how
accessible the interface is that the combination of language and GUI
library produces.

There certainly are programming constructs that a fruit basket program
does not illustrate, but it is a nontrivial program that involves
conditional tests, strings, integers, collections, objects, methods,
properties, events, and optionally anonymous delegates.  The Win32::GUI
example does show the power of hashes in Perl, since control properties
are specified via a hash.

Jamal