Re: Fruit basket program alternatives for Learnability

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:16:49 -0400

Hi,
My two cents worth about this is that we shouldn't reinvent the wheel by
writing a bunch of programming tutorials when there are plenty of good ones
out there. I feel that the only kinds of programming tutorials we should
write would be those that have an assistive technology slant. Let the rest
of the web write the other stuff.

Thanks.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"It's more important for me to start to do the right thing than it is to
wait until I think I
can do it just right."

             "Veli-Pekka
             Tätilä"
             <vtatila@xxxxxxxx                                          To
             dent.oulu.fi>             programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-
             bounce@freelists.                                     Subject
             org                       Re: Fruit basket program
                                       alternatives for Learnability

             10/22/2007 10:51
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

Hi Ken,
Good point about Lua et al not being very good Fruit Basket langs since
native GUis are harder to build. Which reminds me, as it stands now, the
Fruit Basket is more an Exercise in GUi layout and basic controls rather
than showing off a particular programming language, just as you said
below. Especially in libs whose list boxes maintain the strings
directly, you don't necessarily demonstrate any kind of array or hash
usage, text processing, functional programming constructs or closures
all of which are common elements in the dynamically typed scripting
languages, for instance.

So could a more involved, and possibly less graphical, version of the
Fruit Basket be developed which is more akin to language comparisons?
What if there's already a C version of WIn32, should there also be a C
version of GTK+ 2, for instance, since it is a different lib with C
bindings?

Hello Worlds as in Wikipedia don't tell much about a language:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/List_of_hello_world_programs

However, I saw a benchmark which tries to demonstrate that with just in
time compiling and dynamic optimizations Java doesn't lose much at all
to C, contrary to popular belief. Not sure how feasible the results are
but:

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/5602/Nine-Language-Performance-Round-up-Benchmarking-Math-and-File-IO//page1

Another interesting thing about that benchmark is the code. IT shows you
basic arithmetic using integer and floating point types, file reading
and writing and measuring the execution times of code. This can be a
good intro to the field of the language i.e. basic data types, control
structures, file I/O etc... which are things almost everyone wants to do
sooner or later.

Another set of language benchmarks would be this one, though not sure
how the code is from a learnability point of view:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila