FW: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:37:33 -0500

Can people here help this person?

-----Original Message-----
From: Anya Kogan [mailto:akogan3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 1:47 PM
To: Chris.Hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: BlindConfidential: Learning to Program for the Blind

Hi Chris,

I am a graduate student at the Georgia Institute of Technology and
also a new volunteer at the Center for the Visually Impaired in
Atlanta.  I assist in teaching the computer class there to blind and
visually impaired students.  I am sighted myself and very new to the
challenges of being visually impaired.  One of my students is a blind
high-school age boy named Wilkens.  Wilkens is very proficient in the
computer basics using Jaws.  He very quickly and easily surfs the
net, types on Microsoft Word and uses Microsoft Excel.  He has now
expressed interest in learning to program.  I am very new to
programming myself, but would be willing to learn.  However, how can
I teach or at least assist a blind young man to program?  I am not
even sure where to begin.  Can you recommend any resources or lend
any advice on this topic?  Do you know of any online tutorials?
Courses?  What language should he start with?  Is there a first
project that would benefit him?  Any help that you can lend me would
be most appreciated.  Wilkens has a lot of drive and I would hate to
have that go to waste.

Best,
Anya

http://www.eset.com