Re: Emacspeak on Mac OSX Revisited

  • From: David Tseng <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 05:50:58 -0700

Hi,

Some answers in line below.  Note that the server was never tested
with Leopard and certainly not with a PPC mac.

You can help us debug the issue if you rm -rf /tmp/* and then turn on
debugging within the server.  Within the "mac" server, search for the
global python var DEBUGLEVEL and set it to 10.  Go through your usual
usage scenario and then send the contents of your /tmp directory to me
or Bart off list.

> Have noticed a Python 2.7 installation in /opt somewhere -- probably
> done by macports -- but I couldn't get the mac speech server to run off
> it since it struggled to find Python modules. Not sure how to resolve
> that. It might be as simple as including some path in some env var --
> any ideas?
>
> It's not a fast machine as you can see from the specs, but it should be
> able to run console stuff effortlessly.
>
> Some questions if I may:
>
> 001. Would running itt on Python 2.7 as apposed to the 2.5 version make
> a significant difference?

Yes; there's use of python2.6 and up specific modules; that's why the
interpreter "!" was set to python2.6.

> 010. Is it possible that, although I did use macports to get latest
> emacs that it's still running some other, older emacs?

"which emacs".
and
emacs --version (writing off memroy, so look up the proper flag in the
man pages).

> 011. Is Command Key + F5, which toggles VoiceOver on and off, sufficient
> for getting VoiceOver out of the way?

Yes; I personally mute, but in Leopard, there's no easy way to do
this.  (i.e. using the trackpad commanders, keyboard/numpad
commanders, etc).

> 100. Yes, binary numbering.... Just checking you are awake.

cute.

Also, fwiw, from my own experience, emacs/emacspeak isn't for the
faint of heart.  You *will* have to dig into the source at some point
to make things work.  That's why the docs though helpful vary
drastically in quality and obsolescence.