EdSharp support for C++ programming with MinGW

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 07:20:38 -0400 (EDT)

With help from Jaffar, I have added a compiler setting for the free C++
compiler available from
http://MinGW.org
I suggest installing MinGW 5.14 (or later) and choosing the full install
option to get all related utilities.  Full install is not the default, but
otherwise accept all default settings, including the program directory
C:\MinGW

The August 5 version of EdSharp,
http://EmpowermentZone.com/edsetup.exe

includes "MinGW C++" on the list invoked with Control+Shift+F5.
Control+F5 may then be used to compile code, hear any errors, and be
positioned at the first one if present.  You can tweak the batch file that
runs the MinGW compiler and linker by editing the file
C:\Program Files\EdSharp\Convert\MinGW.bat

In Case the MinGW setting does not appear on the compiler list, try
re-initializing the main EdSharp configuration file with Alt+Shift+0.

I welcome feedback to continue improving this support.  Since my knowledge
of C++ is limited, I am particularly interested in help to compile the
fruit basket program I did with Visual C++ Express using MinGW instead.
That source code is in the archive at
http://EmpowermentZone.com/cwx_fruit.zip

If anyone wishes to submit snippets for C++, I would be glad to
include them in the EdSharp distribution.  Jaffar recently
contributed some PHP snippets, and may be working on C++ ones as
well.