EdSharp and snippets

  • From: "Mike Terry" <miketerry-lists@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:25:46 -0400

Jamal,

I remember reading a post you made a while back in which you explained that the
alt+v snippets list did not support incremental searching because of the way
the control in the .net framework operates.

have you considered an alternate form of snippet use.  Several editors I've
looked at will use the word under or immediately to the left of the caret to
identify the snippet to expand.  This seems much more natural to me.  For
example, I could start a new document, type "html" and press a hot key to have
it replace the "html" with a full template with proper head and document type
declaration.  I would of course like the dialog prompting and all other facets
of snippets, provided in EdSharp.

If I were working with an unfamiliar list of snippets, then alt+v would allow
me to easily see what snippets are currently available and choose one.
However, once I became familiar with the builtin or my own snippet names, it
would be much faster to just type the snippet name, press a key, and fill in
any popup dialog.

Just a suggestion/wish.

Thanks for a great editor.

Mike

P.S. I don't think I know c# nearly well enough to add this feature myself.