Re: EdSharp and brf files on win64

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 21:44:09 -0400

EdSharp usually accomplishes file conversions via external utilities. The one configured for .brf files is NFBTrans. Since it is a 16-bit executable, it does not run on 64-bit Windows, unfortunately.

A year or so ago, I tried to find C programmers via this and the program-l list who could port the code so that it compiled with a modern C compiler that creates 32-bit executables. A few people said they would try, but no one reported a successful effort.

I hope to try Braille Blaster as an alternative converter. Can anyone report whether that program has a command-line version which is in a state that works well on Windows?

Jamal

On 6/30/2011 8:36 PM, Alex Hall wrote:
Hi all,
I just tried opening a brf file with edSharp, the first time I have
tried that in quite a while. Here is the dialog that popped up.
Obviously, this is on win64.

Unsupported 16-Bit Application
The program or feature
"\??\C:\PROGRA~2\EdSharp\Convert\NFBTrans\NFBTRANS.EXE" cannot
start or run due to incompatibity with 64-bit versions of Windows. Please
contact the software vendor to ask if a 64-bit Windows compatible version is
available.
OK