Re: Easiest Linux Devel VM, Vim and GDB GUI for Orca? (Was: Microsoft Virtual PC)

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:16:59 +0200

Hi Octavian,
Both VmWare and VIrtual Pc are equially inaccessible. If you want access
to the guest OS, you'll have to install a screen reader there. As far as
mounting Cds and such goes, Virtual PC is much more accessible and uses
standard menus. Though be aware of the host key.

For Linux development VmWare is much much easier. The latest version of
Ubuntu doesn't even run on Virtual PC 2007, I've tried. The absolutely
eaiest way to try out a proper LInux system on Windows is this. Get the
user-friendly VmWare Player:

http://www.vmware.com/download/player/

And then grab a preinstalled Ubuntu 7.10 desktop virtual appliance:

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1068

There's no need to partition a virtual hard drive, create a virtual
machine, set up VmWare additions for sound and display etc.. ALl that
has been for you automatically.

Just log into Gnome, hit alt+f2 for the run box and type in orca. Then
configure its speech settings, quit orca, and restart it. You can now
configure Gnome to your liking.  There are other issues to be solved,
but this gets the basics up and running with minimal effort.

Now the only thing I need are programming tools. IS there a GTK+ based
Vim supported by Orca? HOwabout accessible frontends to the Gnu
Debugger, since I have never fully grasped command-line debuggers of any
kind. Is Eclipse fully accessible?

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila