Re: Documentation Preferences

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 00:28:18 +0300

Hi Sina,
As with screen readers, I suppose people can be pretty fanatical about
their chosen languages. To the point of it being almost impossible to
see which things are valued and why on the other side of the fence.
Still, there are probably as many kind of preferences as there are
readers. I can understand K&R docs in the book all right but faced with
even simple set theory axioms, I become lost and have to ponder for a
long long time, and make a concrete  case before it makes sense to me.
Once I'm able to render it in my head, using mostly natural language,
only then do things become clearer

Another example is K&R and a friend of mine who is very poor in English.
he likes K&R since there's less content to read the get essentially the
same thing across. Yet another simplification Ive seen in code that isnt
written by native English speakers, is the use of mixed case names even
in English compound words. That's to avoid having to know whether a
particular word is a compound in English. The rules are quite different
in English and Finnish, for example.

Last but least, I never said or at least didn't mean to imply that PHP
docs were CHm only or that things were not documented. Rather, I
intended to say that things were not documented as rigorously and in the
style I happen to like. Maybe you picked up an earlier post I happened
to skip after skimming, not sure about this and it isn't very relevant,
either.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila