RE: Direct 6-Key Braille Input Software for QWERTY Keyboards

  • From: Johannes Grib <johannesg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 13:00:52 +0200

Hello Kerneels,
Am playing with the idea using wxpython and the on_key_up event.
The idea is then to take the string and compare with a list with all possible
combanations e.g.
sdf,dfs,fds,fsd etc...
As a Braille display user I think 8 dot braille rather than or with an option
for 6 dot braille.?
Only snag, cannot get the on_key_up event to fire yet.

Might perhaps have better luck with c# but am hoping to port the code to NVDA.
HTH

Date:   Mon, 01 Nov 2010 12:19:33 +0200
From:   Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx> <mailto:kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
accessibility for users with visual disabilities. <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mailto:blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Good morning everyone,

Sjoe, I've looked all over the web now but I can't find something to do this
job that works and that is not for DOS. Does anyone perhaps know of a free
and/or open source program that would enable a person to directly input Braille
on a computer running Windows XP, with a standard qwerty keyboard? The program
should either produce ASCII Braille (.brf) or the newer unicode Braille (.brl)
files.

The idea is basically to do exactly what a Perkins brailler does but on a
computer with a normal keyboard. I've surfed the increasingly fragmented web
for quite some time but was unable to find something that works. It also
appears that not all qwerty keyboards can handle 6 key simmultaneous key
presses, but there are some that can do it. A solution of course would be to
allow for individual dot presses and then a sort of enter key to cause the
actual character to be printed.

Would anyone else on the list be interested in such a program? If so, what
features would you like to see in such a editor?

Regards,
Kerneels

--
Kerneels Roos
Cell: +27 (0)82 309 1998

"If one has the talent it pushes for utterance and torments one; it will out;
and then one is out with it without questioning. And, look you, there is
nothing in this thing of learning out of books. Here, here and here (pointing
to his ear, his head and his heart) is your school. If everything is right
there, then take your pen and down with it; afterward ask the opinion of a man
who knows his business."

(To a musically talented boy who asked Mozart how one might learn to compose.)