Definition of an Accessible application to a screen reader

  • From: "Eileen Lafond" <Eileen.Lafond@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:23:55 -0800

Hi,
I am trying to put together information to present to people at work to
attempt to make them understand how and why certain applications and
companies, etc. are not accessible to my screen reader.

I can only come up with the following:

What makes an application accessible to a screen reader:

All mouse clicks must have a corresponding keyboard command.

The application has to be written in such a way that the screen reader
can *hook on* to the code or middle ware that hooks to the code so
that the screen can be read.

Code must be constructed in a manner that allows the screen reader to
have access to it.

Any ideas to help flesh this out and make it more understandable will
be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Eileen La Fond
Phone (206) 386-0011