Re: Credible rumor that deserves serious consideration, IMHO

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 08:36:28 -0400

Hi Kerneels,

Thank you for such a thoughtful addition to this sometimes contentious thread.
Including myself, I think a lot of us get a bit thin skinned about things we
say and believe and react emotionally rather than with a more logical and
thoughtful statement like yours.

I still believe that hackers with vision impairment need to learn to make a
GUI, even if is only temporary and will be replaced or modified by someone more
skilled in ways to present information in a graphical manner that will conform
with the marketing goals for the program.

Your idea for a list of non-graphical programming tasks that can be done easily
by people with vision impairment is interesting. I don't want to become keeper
of this list but I would recommend including writing programs that only have a
speech interface.

Today, programs with speech only interfaces are becoming increasingly popular.
The most notable would be the software that runs on the latest iPod Shuffle
from Apple. This cute little MP3 playing device has no visual UI, it is
VoiceOver (the Apple screen reader) or nothing on the Shuffle. If you want to
make sure that VoiceOver doesn't interrupt your music, you can press the
VoiceOver button on the little device and it will shut up; if you want the
menus and such again, you press the VoiceOver button again and it will talk
based upon your commands and such.

Apple did not make the Shuffle for a blind audience but we can use it as easily
as our sighted friends. At about $80 per unit, the Shuffle couldn't survive if
it didn't cater to a mainstream audience and the mainstream is buying the
little things by the boatload.

I expect that other things will be coming down the pike with speech only
interfaces and, as that is the world in which most of us live (braille displays
can be prohibitively expensive) so we probably have ideas for good design of
talking UI and, those of us who have been kicking around for a long time also
have seen lots of examples of how bad UI can be avoided.

Another area where we can shine is in making software that gets built into
products other than what one would traditionally call a computer. The Shuffle
is one such example but virtually every piece of consumer electronics contains
a lot of software these days and finding people skilled in embedded systems
hacking is really hard for employers because most programmers want to make
pretty things.

Just a couple of ideas...

HH,
cdh