Re: Credible rumor that deserves serious consideration, IMHO

  • From: Chris Hofstader <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 10:28:49 -0400

My understanding of the JAB is that part of it lives in the Java VM and the
other part is something like a DLL. The Window-Eyes solution seems to use the
part inside the VM but not the DLL portion so it should work without the JAB
being installed. I'm not 100% certain of this but I have a high degree of
confidence that it is true.

If Oracle stops developing the accessibility code in the VM, some real problems
for users with disability will start to occur as it deteriorates. I do not know
the source code status of the "official" Java VM but Oracle may now have a
trademark argument saying that if a VM doesn't comply precisely with the one
from Oracle itself that you cannot call it "Java" which will make some things
really ambiguous.

cdh