Re: Creating an Operating System with speech included

  • From: "black ares" <matematicianu2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 07:37:56 +0200

regarding the bios step, i've seen two different directions in make it accessible: 1. some years ago i've bought a mmotherboard for a pc namely asus a8n sli deluxe. I was highly surprised to see that this main board is speaking the error/succes mesages trough it's integrated sound card. For example, when the computer can not find a component at boot time it announce it,

"a harddisk has not be found"
or the worst:
"the cpu fan is not working"
These messages are configurable from the bios.
Also success messages are spoken, for example after boot time when all is ok the computer announces:
"boot completed, now loading the operating system".
I think that, if some one will talk with this manufacturers they can include spoken descriptions for all theirs bios options. This is a finite case of situations and can be modeled with already recorded messages. is true that this customisation can increase the price and taking in account the fact that in our days every thing which is sold for accessibility is tripled price, we will end with a expensive mother board.
2. another way is implemented by hp in their business laptop models.
I have sucha a model, namely hp compaq nc 8230
and it offers me the posibility to change a lot of options from the bios using the windows os.
ASo I can modify a lot of options from windows.
It ofers me even the posibility to flash the bios from windows.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>