Re: Could we organize to mentor new blind coders?

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:01:40 -0400

My suggestion would be to start with an approach that potentially can provide much value with minimal administration. Create a sign-up list on a web site for programmers willing to give a talk on a particular topic, with ample time included for Q&A. The talks would use a webinar technology like Team Talk, Skype, Talking Communities, etc. Each session would be about 90 minutes. People could send questions to a speaker in advance to help him or her prepare relevant content. The sessions would be recorded and archived on a web site for subsequent viewing by anyone at any time.

This community effort would be publicized via descriptions that went to the editors of Access World, Braille Forum, Braille Monitor, Top Tech Tidbits, etc. Young people thinking of programming careers would be explicitly encouraged to participate, though anyone would be welcome.

Through this experience, the community would naturally learn what works well and what needs to be changed for the effort to become more successful. Additional rules and procedures would be implemented on an as-needed basis.