RE: Complexity Math in PDF and ASCII Notation (Fluff, Long)

  • From: "Peter Torpey" <ptorpey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 08:13:24 -0400

You asked about Mathematica.

Well, I am a blind physicist and have needed to do complex symbolic math.

I must say, I've never figured out a good way of dealing with the PDF type
of documents you wish to read, but if you're doing your own math, equations,
etc., I found mathematica almost impossible to use with Jaws.

The program which I found to be very accessible (and used all of the time)
is Maple (www.maplesoft.com).  Although the Java interface they are pushing
into their new releases is somewhat clumsy with Jaws, the Classic interface
is very accessible with Jaws.  I have found this program very useful.

Maple is rather a costly program (> $1,000, although there may be a less
expensive version for students).

An open source math program which you can obtain is macsyma.  This runs
fairly well with Jaws (although I haven't played around with it much).  I
found this on sourceforge.net.

One other neat little program for which I developed scripts and had the
original developer tweak a bit to work well with Jaws is called QD
Accessible.  This little program runs on the PacMate and does all sorts of
symbolic math, derivatives, solving symbolic equations, as well as doing
numerical math.  I placed the program, scripts, and some documentation I
wrote on the Pacmate Gear web site so that folks could download it if they
needed it.

I hope this helps.

-- Pete