Compiling Wx

  • From: "Octavian Rasnita" <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 22:10:28 +0200

Hi,

Maybe this explanation help somebody:

Hi,

I use MinGW to build wxWidgets for the PPMs I support.

You need - MinGW (obviously).
All I did to get this was download the installer from MinGW page.
As I recall, you have to run the installer again from its installed location to get the latest versions of everything - but I could be imagining this.

'patch' from GnuWin32 project.

Then create a .bat file to set up your environment. I set up my PATH, INCLUDE and LIB dirs from scratch. I know it shouldn't matter for MinGW but I trust nothing and don't want to end up picking up headers from the multitude of SDK's and PDKs I have installed.

Download wxWidgets 2.8.7 from
http://biolpc22.york.ac.uk/pub/2.8.7/wxMSW-2.8.7.zip

put the attached patch in the head directory of extracted wxwidgets.

cd <path to wxwidgets>
patch -lNp0 --input=wxwidgets.patch
cd build\msw
mingw32-make makefile.gcc
cd ..\..\contrib\build\stc
mingw32-make makefile.gcc

That is it.

This builds you a Unicode wxWidgets (without wxGraphicsContext support)
The patch file is just an aggregation of the patches that Alien::wxWidgets provides.

To build Alien::wxWidgets
set WXDIR=<path to wxwidgets>
set WXWIN=%WXDIR%

perl Build.PL --build_wx=0 --unicode=1 --mslu=0
perl Build
perl Build test
perl Build install

To build Wx

perl Makefile.PL --wx-unicode --no-wx-mslu
dmake
dmake test
dmake install

All should work.

I think the best place for a 'HOWTO' would be at the wxperl.sourceforge.net site. I'm quite sure if you create one Mattia would be happy to include it in
the documents / tutorials section.

Including wxGraphicsContext is a mini HOWTO all of its own. There are several links about the net to downloadable gdiplus headers for MinGW. I have no idea if these work - but probably not. You need the gdiplus headers from the latest platform SDK, make a few amendments (You can google for these on 'MinGW gdiplus'. You want the amendments suggested, but not the downloadable headers) You also need the import lib from the Platform SDK.

Which means ------ you need the Platform SDK (yes, all of it) so you can get the gdiplus headers and the import lib.
Deep joy.

Regards

Mark

Harvey Platter wrote:
Thanks for your help, Mark. Unfortunately, I couldn't get wxWidgets to
compile with the MinGW32 kit, there seemed to be a lot of broken links
to include files.

I'm now trying with wxPack and, if you like, I'll let you know how that
proceeds.

I'm putting together an internal Wiki page on setting up for wxPerl
development on Windows. If you could advise me on a suitable location to
post it to, I'd be happy to make it available to the community, once
I've got a bulletproof method worked out.

Best regards

Harvey

Octavian