Re: Commodo

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 12:39:36 -0500

Hi,
Perhaps we should try to run Windig against it because there are apparently
some undocumented key strokes. Also, keep in mind that you can assign keys
to functions, so you can improve the interface. I got stuck in the dialog
that does that unfortunately. That's what contributing is all about. At
least I can report what I feel are bugs even if I can't help code.

Thanks.

james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"Never doubt that a thoughtful group of committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

             "Jamal Mazrui"
             <empower@xxxxxxxx
             t>                                                         To
             Sent by:                  programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             programmingblind-                                          cc
             bounce@freelists.
             org                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Commodo

             11/14/2007 11:45
             AM

             Please respond to
             programmingblind@
               freelists.org

It sounds like some improvements are needed in the keyboard interface.
The problems you describe do not make Komodo a horrible editor.
Evidently, it is a frustrating one for you so far, but it deserves an
appreciation of its beneficial features as well before condemning it as
you do because of some hot key and focus issues.  These issues are
probably the kinds of things that a set of JAWS scripts could resolve --
just as scripts smoothed some rough edges with Visual Studio, which was
mostly accessible out of the box.

Here is a revolutionary concept:  how about starting an open source JAWS
scripting project for Komodo?  Feel free to ask questions if you need
tips on the JAWS scripting language, such as how to assign focus to a
control or add a hot key.  I'm sure you'll be able to pick up the
language quickly with a little effort.

Jamal
On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, Octavian
Rasnita wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:39:08 +0200
> From: Octavian Rasnita <orasnita@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: Commodo
>
> I've seen that I can use the virtual PC cursor, however if I want to
click
> on the tab title, I cannot do it with it.
> And I need this because I cannot select that tab in other way.
>
> Here is what I've tried:
>
> Opened Commodo, chosen File menu/New/File then chosen perl and pressed
> enter.
> Then I've modified something in the file, and pressed control+S to save
it.
> The "Save as..." dialog appeared, and I wanted to cancel it by pressing
> escape.
>
> In that moment the focus was lost. It didn't went to the textarea where
it
> was before pressing control+S.
> So I was trying to put it back there. I've tried pressing Control+Home
but
> Jaws (8) just spoken some words, possibly the titles of some tabs, or
> toolbar elements... I don't know, but the focus was not moved to any
program
> element.
>
> So I've tried pressing Control+Tab for more times, but nothing happend.
> After switching to another application then back to Commodo, and a few
other
> control+Tab and tab keys, I've seen that I could move from a tab title to
> another, but those tab titles were for something else, not for selecting
the
> currently open document.
>
> I couldn't get to those tabs, and even if I could do it, I think that
> Commodo has big bugs, because otherwise it wouldn't lose the focus that
way.
> (If some list members say that it is great and that only Jaws 6 has
problems
> accessing it).
>
> That's why I try to move the focus to the wanted tab title by clicking on
it
> with the Jaws cursor.
> But finally I was able to move the focus to the currently opened file tab
> title using F6 for more times. It was ok, however I couldn't move the
focus
> from that tab title to the textarea using Control+Tab, or just tab...
>
> I've seen that if I have chosen to close it without saving the file, it
> asked what I wanted to do, but it didn't even offered a hotkey for
choosing
> "Don't save any file"
> I think that most editors allow us to just press "N" in order to choose a
> "No", and we don't need to tab for more times in order to be able to
press
> that button.
>
> So it is not a great editor, not even with Jaws 8. Maybe 9?? Or 19? :-)
>
> I like some of the ActiveState's programs if they are good, like
ActivePerl