Re: Collecting Public Domain SFX, Sample ROM Copyright (Was: About Making Or Controlling Sounds)

  • From: Veli-Pekka Tätilä <vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 15:09:00 +0300

Hi James,
Quality collections of public domain sounds at a decent sampling rate
and format e.g. wav might be of use. I am not aware of any good
collections myself, as far as freebies go.

The names of the files should be highly descriptive, e.g. check out the
BBC sample CDS for a good example of this. Categorizing sound in sub
folders and tagging them with keywords using the wav or NTFS metadata
might be very useful for finding sound effects by searching, too.

Mind you, though, that most of the good SFX or music sample CDs are
commercial.  re-Distributing such samples is not exactly legal. I'd like
to know more about the law here but I think ripping sound samples from
games, ROms, MOD files or even sample synths is questionable, too. Now,
using the sample ROms of synths in your own music or SFX or even MOD
Files, though, is legal, of course, but in that your end product is the
music or sound, you are not offering merely raw, ripped samples
copyrighted by whatever firm sampled them. Of course, there's the
philosophical debate of how much an analog synth patch needs to be
tweaked before it is a new sound totally, but let's not get into that
here, Analog Heaven or rec.music.makers.synth would be a far better
place for that. I'm mentioning sample ROms of synths since I think they
are in fact copyrighted. Certainhly, say, Korg don't use Roland's TR-808
drum samples exactly,, at least didn't in the X5 or Trinity days, I
think they would if they could.

--
With kind regards Veli-Pekka Tätilä (vtatila@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila