Re: Cognos Accessibility with JAWS

  • From: Dorene Cornwell <dorenefc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:51:04 -0700

Let us know how that works.

I am not familiar with recent releases of Cognos specifically but a
long time ago I spent some time on a tool selection process looking at
several related products so I have a few thoughts:

--In general I am not crazy about work-arounds that depend on specific
visual interface characteristics because these can be subject to
change with even interim updates. I am also not familiar with the
hotspot option so I am definitely curious about results.

--It really does sound like as you suspect a programmer just forgot to
label something, I would definitely encourage you to get the problem
documented by Cognos tech support. Even if it cannot immediately be
fixed, having it on a problem list increases the chances that it can
be dealt with in an upcoming release. As you say, IBM has a good
history about accessibility. Since they acquired Cognos, that suggests
at least someone in the picture will be motivated to work on the
problem. Also, Cognos is a really mainstream tool and the kind of tool
that could be of very high value to people who suffer vision loss in
mid-career. So I am HOPING that helps line up more interest in fixing
the problem.

--SOMETIMES the configuration of some of those screens depends on
local decisions made at your site. After you check with Cognos / IBM
tech support, it might be worth checking if something about your local
site is obscuring the needed info.

--At some point I suppose there is also the JAWS scripts option, but
it really does sound to me like it's something the vendor needs to
fix.

Dorene Cornwell
Seattle WA