Cognos Accessibility Problem

  • From: "Brent Neal" <bneal@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 08:54:14 -0600

I finally was able to talk to a Cognos tech at IBM and explain the problem.
She said she was not sure that anything could be done but she would check into
it.  She asked me to email her some information about the JAWS screen reader
and how it worked.  She also wanted to know what would have to be done to
fix the problem.

I am not sure how to fix the problem.  Would a text label just have to be added
to the icon tab in order to allow JAWS to find it and then could you click
on it using the mouse buttons or does something else have to be done.

Also on some of the icons that do show up like properties when I hit enter on
it or click it with the left mouse button it brings up the context window
that says minimize, maximize etc.  instead of opening the properties.  If I
right mouse button click properties it brings up a different context window
but still does not open properties.  If a sighted user uses the regular mouse
and clicks on some of the other icons then I can go to properties and it
works correctly.  Any ideas about what could be going on and how it could be
fixed?  I should probably also address this with the IBM tech.  Also if you
know good arguments on why they should make cognos accessible let me know.  I
think it is a law for the federal government but I am not sure about state
government.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Brent Neal
140 E 300 S