RE: Coding VB.NET 2005 app for accessibility

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:46:41 -0800

I will note that it also works fine if the label is above the text box.
Note that the label should have the tab set to the previous value so for
example if your text box or control you want read like a list box to have
the label to the left and the listbox tab stop is 6 then the label that is
related should be set to 5.  Alignment some times cause it to be read or not
read for example I have a label above a text box and I aligned the text to
top bottom and center and they all worked but I have seen if you move the
label farther away and don't align it to the bottom it doesn't read.  This
might have been just a fluke but its something to be thinking of.  I wish
Freedom scientific, GW, and the other screen reader companies would
publicize the algorithm they use to search for these things but I have not
found any such publications.  I can tell you though if you correctly place
controls by labels 90% of the time they are found.

If your label can not be right next to the control like in a table of
controls that is not laid out in a listview one thing you can do to make
sure a screen reader speaks it is when the control is just about to receive
focus change the color of the label that you want spoken and the screen
reader will pick it up but this should not be necessary unless you just have
a really weird layout.

Ken