Re: Classes Knowledge Transfer

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:44:53 -0400 (EDT)

The using statement only works withclasses that implement the "IDisposable
interface."  I'm not sure what kind of object model this is.  If a typical
COM library, IDisposable is not supported.  If a "primary interop
assembly" has been created for using Lotus Notes with native .NET
classes, then
IDisposable may be supported ,and thus the "using"
statement.

In general, one does not need to dispose of objects in .NET programming
because the garbage colletctor will do so when needed.  Particularly
memory-intensive data structures are worth disposing, however, if
possible.  the Marshal.ReleaseComObject can be used for COM objects.

Hope this helps,
Jamal