Checking our work - another experiment

  • From: "Andreas Stefik" <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:19:33 -0800

Hey folks,

My research lab out here at Washington State University is gearing up
for another experiment related to blind computer programmers. In this
one, we've created our own debugging environment which either A), acts
similarly to Visual Studio using Jaws and the Jaws scripts or B) acts
in the way we have our custom blind programmer interface setup. In
this thread, I'm hoping to get some feedback on whether we got the
"visual studio" portion of the experiment right, so that we are making
a fair comparison.

Specifically, I'm hoping to get some feedback on the sounds output
from Jaws and Visual Studio in a typical debugging session. To try to
figure this out on my own, I've loaded up Jaws 9, Visual Studio 2005,
and notated the sounds the environment puts out. I know VS 2008 is
out, but last checked it wasn't available yet through WSU's academic
alliance, so we are sticking with 2005 and Jaws 9 for this experiment.

However, I don't claim to be a blind programmer, and as such, the way
you folks have Jaws or VS setup may be different than how I have it
setup. So, I'm going to list the words and sounds visual studio + jaws
outputs in my setup below. If anyone here has Jaws outputting
different sounds, please let me know what those sounds are.

Navigation:

Navigate to the local variables window: Jaws says "Locals"
Navigate to the source window: Jaws says the file name, then "Edit
checked unavailable type in text"

Source window:

Pressing up: Speaks the line of code above the cursor in terms of raw
characters, for example, a left bracket 5 right bracket semicolon.

Pressing down: Similarly speaks the line of code below the cursor.
Pressing left and right: Speaks a character.

Debugger:

Stepping forward: Jaws says the name of the key pressed, in this case, "F11"
If you press up or down in the source window in the debugger, and the
line you happen to land on is the line that is about to execute in
Visual Studio, Jaws says, Graphic 53 then the line of text.

Local variable window:

If you press up or down it takes you to the next variable, where Jaws
says the variable name, its value, then its type. An example would be
A, 4, integer.

Pressing right and left opens or closes a composite variable, like an
array. Far as I can tell, Jaws makes no sound when this happens.

So, are these approximately the sounds you receive when using VS +
Jaws in the debugger as well?

Andreas