Re: Changing Your Shell - Was: Learning What I Need To Know About Basic Linux

  • From: "Bill Gallik" <BillGallik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:18:50 -0500

Hi Jim,

If you "exit" from your login shell, you will immediately be logged off your session.

If you "exec /bin/ksh" and then "exit" you will likewise be logged out of your session.

But if you simply do a "/bin/ksh" and then exit, you will return back to y our original login shell.

The difference being that "exec" is a "shell built-in" that tells the current process (your login shell) to "overlay" the called program over your current shell with the new shell inheriting all characteristics of the original shell.

But the "chsh" suggestion is far better.
----
Holland's Person, Bill
E-Mail: BillGallik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!