Re: C/C++ Compilers. was: In regards to my giving up on programming?

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:18:32 -0500

Hi,

MinGw is like a smaller more compact version of cgin from what I gather. Cgwin actually tries to reproduce some unix-like functions in a windows environment. MinGw just gives yout he bash shell and a few other things that make it possible to create windows applications using gcc.

I'm sure there is more to this. Perhaps someone else on this list can provide a more detailed explanation than I can.

hth
Alex M

Øyvind Lode wrote:
Hi Ken:

The problem with starting with higher level languages is you miss some
real
structure I am not going to go back into the debate.  I have said what I
think is the best cores and people can take it or leave it.
I'm going to try C and C++.
I've already played with some C++ code and compiled it using gcc/g++ on
Cygwin and on a Linux box.
What's the difference between installing gcc/g++ in Cygwin to use MinGW?
Or should I choose a completely different compiler?

Now I'm off to download the evaluation chapters of the Coronado C
tutorial...
I might download the C++ tutorial as well, though I've decided to actually
dive into C first.