Re: C Sharp?

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:06:04 -0400

I recall trying to explain this before, and did not realize that you still encountered problems. I hope the following tips help.

Press Control+Shift+F5 to pick the C# compiler. Create and save a .cs file. Press Control+F5 to compile. If you need to reference additional assemblies or change compiler options such as whether a GUI-only or console mode program is created, press Alt+Shift+C and then Alt+C to edit the CompileCommand setting. Additional detail about this and other compilation-related settings is in the EdSharp documentation (F1).

For a compiled as opposed to interpreted language, EdSharp does not automatically run the executable after compilation. It is possible to achieve this by editing the CompileCommand setting so that it refers to a batch file instead of the csc.exe command-line compiler. In that batch file, run the program after the compilation step. Alternatively, you can run the program by configuring the Prompt Command, Alt+F5. You can change parameters to be passed to that command before presseing Enter.

Another way to run a program is with the Windows Start/Run prompt, where one enters the full path of the program. Yet another way is to open a command prompt in the directory containing the executable you created. This is generally the most efficient way to develop a console mode program, since it is hard to examine its output if run from a GUI window. The C# command-line compiler could also be run from that directory if you have added it to your Windows search path. The Environment Variables command, Control+E, allows you to do that, though you can also use the appropriate applet in Windows Control Panel.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Jamal

On 8/20/2010 11:37 AM, Alex Hall wrote:
Hi all,
I am wondering if there is an accessible way, preferably through the
use of EdSharp, to write, compile, and debug c# code? I went through
this a few semesters ago but was never able to get anything working
successfully. I think the most we will be doing is console apps. The
professor is great, though, so if I cannot use c# she will let me
switch to another language; the important thing to her is that I am
able to write and understand the examples, not that I learn c#
specifically. TIA.