Braille translation in jaws9 beta

  • From: "Graham Hardy" <graham.hardy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 22:16:45 -0700

Hi all,

It seems that Freedom Scientific have changed their braille translation.
(Yes - this is on topic - just wait.) Now, it seems that there is a file, at
"\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\Shared\Braille\10.12\Grade2.ini", where a
code of some sort is being used to render the braille translation. The code
looks, from a usability standpoint, rather clunky at best, and from the
first it looks like there are going to be problems. For instance, several
words are constantly mistranslated. I suggested them (though I knew they
won't like it) to look at the NFBTrans programme, which has a very
streamlined approach which is extremely easy to modify and well-documented,
and which produces wonderful results. Have a look at this file, and let me
know what you all think.

Graham.