Braille Translator: was Re: Java books - any good suggestions on learning Java?

  • From: "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:01:59 -0500

Jared,

Below is a description of the software and of a mailing list that I set
up for those interested in using it and contributing to its development.
The text tells where to learn more about it and download it.

--------------------

For several years I have been working on two braille transcription
libraries with the support of ViewPlus Technologies. One, liblouis, is a
braille translator and back-translator. The other, liblouisxml,
translates xml documents into properly formatted braille, using liblouis
to do the translation. It will handle MathML, Daisy xml, DocBook, files
saved as xml by Microsoft Word, text and, eventually, graphics,
chemistry and music. ViewPlus is using both libraries in its TSS
software. Despite the support of a for-profit company, the software is
Open Source and Free. liblouis is also being used by Serotech, Design
Sciences, HandyTech and Orca.

I have started a mailing list for those who are interested in
contributing
to or just following the development of this software. To join, send a
message to
liblouis-liblouisxml-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and put subscribe in the subject line.

To learn more about the software and to download it, go to
http://www.jjb-software.com . There is a project for liblouis on
code.google and a Mac application that works nicely with VoiceOver. The
above site has links to both of these. The liblouisxml package includes
programs for translating xml files to braille, backtranslatiog to text
or html, reformatting braille files, and handling poorly formatted text.
These programs run at the command line on most Unix-like systems,
including linux, FreeBSD and Mac OS X. Windows versions are planned.

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 06:11:17PM -0400, Jared Wright wrote:
> Hi John, Could you tell me more about the program you're using to do
> Braille translations? I've used speech as the primary interaction medium
> so far when doing my programming, but I've been more and more intrigued
> by the idea of working more with a Braille display. So this is of
> interest to me.
>
> Best,
> Jared
>
> John J. Boyer wrote:
> >Jeff,
> >
> >I have to get on a fast track with Java also. I am using Java in a
> >Nutshell from Bookshare. It is quite good. They have quite a few Java
> >books. I also have a braille transcription program that translates them
> >to Braille, including doing the code examples in computer braille and
> >the text in Grade 2.
> >
> >John
> >
> >On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 12:46:37PM -0700, Jeff Bishop wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>
> >>Besides the Thinking in Java book, are there any others that any of you
> >>would suggest to learn Java that are available in EBook format?  I am
> >>needing to get on a very fast track on this it appears.
> >>
> >>Jeff

John J. boyer; President, Chief Software Developer
JJB Software, Inc.
http://www.jjb-software.com
Madison, WI USA