RE: BlindProgramming.com site

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:02:29 -0500 (EST)

Thanks, Octavian and Pratik, for helping me understand the difference
between a web application framework and content management system.  below
I have pasted excerpts from the Wikipedia page referenced by Octavian that
indicate a blurring of the line between such technologies.  I take the
point, however, that they start with different philosophies and different
ends of a programming spectrum.

Besides Drupal, are there other content management systems that folks have
found highly usable, both from the perspective of a blind developer and
user?  I notice that Drupal uses PHP for customizations done by
programming.  So, I suppose one's language preferences are a factor as
well.

Regards,
Jamal

[From Wikipedia]

Some self-described content management systems have begun to expand into
higher layer web application frameworks. For instance,
Drupal
's structure provides a minimal core whose function is extended through
modules that provide functions generally associated with web application
frameworks.

Joomla
 and
Plone
 have similar functionality. Historically these projects have been termed
content management systems
. However, it is debatable whether "management of content" is the primary
value of such systems. Add-on modules now enable these systems to function
as
full fledged applications beyond the scope of content management. They may
provide functional APIs, functional frameworks, coding standards, and many
of
the functions traditionally associated with Web application frameworks.

... software projects like
MODx,
Drupal,
Joomla
 or
Typo3
 have begun to morph from web content management systems to a higher layer
web application framework. Their structure generally provides a minimal
core
whose function is extended through modules that provide functions
generally associated with web application frameworks. As
open source
 projects, their communities contribute many modules (for example,
Drupal
 has over 1,000 such modules and Typo3 more than 2,500). Use of these
CMS's core+modules constitutes a method for assembling a website with a
broad range
of application features without actually doing any PHP-level coding.