Re: [BW] RE: Seeking collaborators for a fruitbasket in Adobe Flex

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindwebbers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 23:12:20 -0400

Oh, my understanding is as follows. I think Adobe's intent is to support IA2 on Windows, and possibly ATSPI on Linux, and the Apple Accessibility Protocol on the Mac. I am not sure about the platforms other than Windows, but Adobe Flex and Flash are intended as cross-platform technologies, so that would make sense if accessibility was also to be cross-platform. As far as I know, Adobe chose IA2 over UIA. I think the latest UIA now includes bridges between UIA and MSAA in both directions, so an assistive technology client might still get accessibility support through UIA, but it would not be more than what is automatically translated from IA2 to MSAA to UIA, as far as I know.

Feel free to continue to discuss, and I hope others join, too. I think that Flash is a popular enough and pervasive enough technology area that, despite other frustrations with Adobe, I think we should try to take advantage of accessibility APIs that they say they have now implemented.

Jamal

On 4/9/2011 10:08 PM, Sina Bahram wrote:
Jamal,

Right right, but what I am saying is what interface will it be exposed
through? You mentioned that MSAA is a subset of IA2, and in a
way that's right, but even the subset features could be exposed via some
other MIDL defined thing, right? So for example, to be
quite technical, what function calls are being used to consume the
information?

The reason I'm wondering is this. Does this then mean that differing
amounts, levels, and paradigms of accessibility are available
into flex dependant upon the hosting application/process?

For example, UIA has what, 28 or so roles that it can expose, and then
compossits of any of those, whereas IA2 has a differing
amount.

Take care,
Sina