Re: [BW] Page layout with Drupal 7

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blindwebbers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:17:39 -0500

Good idea, Everett -- I'll try to do that as well.

Jamal

On 3/9/2011 8:31 AM, E.J. Zufelt wrote:
Good morning Jamal,

I'd like to encourage you to post these questions, particularly about layout
and Core themes, to groups.drupal.org/accessibility .  I am certain that
someone will provide a pretty quick response, and then we will have a record
that this type of information is necessary to make our ecosystem more
accessible to visually impaired developers.

Should you have problems with signing up or posting please let me know.

Thanks,
Everett Zufelt
http://zufelt.ca

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/ezufelt

View my LinkedIn Profile
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ezufelt

On 2011-03-09, at 8:10 AM, Jamal Mazrui wrote:

I am learning Drupal 7 partly by building a site. Core or contributed
modules often create blocks of information that need to be assigned to a
region of the page in order to become visible to vistors. One problem I
am encountering is deciding what regions to use for blocks that are not
automatically assigned to a region. Right now, I am just using the
default Drupal 7 theme. Can anyone give tips on where to place things?
Are there conventions, or usability factors to consider, depending on
the nature of the block? Are there guidelines for when a block should
only appear on the front page, or be associated only with a particular
content type?

Other layout-related questions are as follows? Conceptually, what are
the distinct purposes of different menus, e.g., the main menu and
navigation menus Since the main menu and other menus can include
aspects that seem related to navigation to me, I do not understand what
is supposed to be different about the navigation menu, main menu, or
other menus.

I am also curious if anyone has tips on using the views and panels
modules with a screen reader. Are there canned layouts that are easy to
implement? If so, where should I start? Is panels really necessary for
a site that is not highly sophisticated?

I think content management systems like Drupal, WordPress, and Jumla!
hold much potential for blind web developers because they can
automatically handle a lot of the layout decisions. If we can only
master the mechanisms for creating layouts with the available designers,
we can go a long way toward developing visually acceptable and highly
functional sites.

Feel free to point me to web articles that explain some of this in a
conceptual rather than visual manner. I have done a lot of web
searching and reading of Drupal books, but am always open to learning of
other resources online.

<*>  Your email settings:
     Individual Email | Traditional

<*>  To change settings online go to:
     (Yahoo! ID required)

<*>  To change settings via email:
     blindwebbers-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     blindwebbers-fullfeatured@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*>  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*>  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/