Re: Auditory interface ideas, what would help?

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 21:00:30 -0500

Susan,

My team and I are working hard to get our tools integrated into NetBeans.
We've made enormous progress this summer but still have several months to go
before we can even consider a release (and realistically, probably longer).
Our work is currently being done at Southern Illinois University
Edwardsville (Where my grad student and I are at), and at Central Washington
University, where one of my old students is doing some work on the virtual
machine we've built. We have also been very fortunate to have Louie Most, a
retired blind programmer that lives in washington help to keep us honest
about all things blind and who has been contributing some text-to-speech
code on Macintosh (although we could use some help with other platforms!).

To answer your question though, what we've been trying to figure out is the
best possible performance one can achieve without visual stimuli for
programming. When we first took measurements of a blind programming
environment (Visual Studio 2005), under our experimental conditions, we
found about a 80% drop in performance compared to visual programming.
However, with our environment at the time, we were able to drop that down to
about 30% in the programming language C. I'm leaving out a lot of details
from our experiments, but in short, we considered this to be a pretty
stellar step in the right direction.

That was a year and a half ago and at the time, we were using custom, home
grown, environments. Now, we've been working incredibly hard to get a new,
and substantially more powerful and robust, version of our tool into the
NetBeans programming environment. Right now this includes our own custom
programming language, virtual machine, and a plethora of other tools that
are being experimented with to see if they help (e.g., code navigators,
special codes in the virtual machine, changing around programming language
constructs, editor "hints" as you type).

In my ideal world, what will happen is that we'll be able to make progress
using custom languages, then eventually help some larger corporations get
the results from our experiments integrated into other languages. That's a
tall order, though, right now, there's only three of us, and designing IDE's
and custom compilers/debuggers is not, even remotely, easy.

Cheers,

Stefik