Re: Auditory Code Completion - any good ideas?

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 21:30:44 -0500

For the text-to-speech, our engine is pretty decent nowadays. If you
have a screen reader present, it just uses it. Otherwise, it finds
some kind of sensible default on your system and uses that. It's not
perfect, but it works under quite a few systems nowadays, which is
good.

For Mike, yes, that's definitely possible. We were thinking that you
"can" listen to the examples and everything, but we also made sure
that everything is skippable. In other words, if you don't want to
listen to it, you can either 1) press escape to get out of it, 2)
press left control to tell the TTS engine to be quite, or 3) just
start typing to ignore it completely. Is that good enough or would you
still prefer a way to customize the audio for code completion further?

Stefik