RE: Are Oracle SQL Developer and or TOAD accessible?

  • From: "Peter Quaiattini" <Peter_Quaiattini@xxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 11:54:47 -0600

Hi John -
Once upon a time, I tried to use TOAD. I personally found the UI rather
complex to navigate -- my memory suggests that navigating from window to
window was non-trivial via the keyboard. I want to give it another try
... But not today.
I have heard that SQL Navigator is a more JAWS-friendly tool, but I
cannot personally vouch for that.
As a DBA and PL/SQL developer, I use SQLPlus. This is a command-line
interface into the Oracle database directly. I have found it quite
friendly for JAWS, however, you loose the nifty features that a tool
like TOAD can provide.
I use SQLPlus in two modes:
- on Windows, simply type sqlplus at a command prompt. It is a dos-based
app - quite simple to use. You can cut&paste using the alt-space menu.
- On unix via some telnet program (like CRT for instance).
Both ways work well for me.

To create / replace a package / procedure, I typically write the code in
a windows-based text editor (like TextPad or Notepad or what ever you
like). I then paste the code into the SQLPlus window and voila, it is
created / replaced in the database. You can execute it from the command
prompt; do traces on it etc.
Let me know -- I can tell you more if need-be.

Peter Quaiattini
BITS OPS - Data Hosting Services
Canadian Pacific Railway
(403) 319-6579
peter_quaiattini@xxxxxx

Subject: Are Oracle SQL Developer and or TOAD accessible?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 13:26:15 -0400
From: "Good, John" <John.Good@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hello all,
    I've been working on PL.SQL.  After I do the coding, I've been
passing it on to another person for compilation and testing.  I wish to
do this myself.  Our shop has both Oracle SQL Developer and TOAD.  Are
these packages accessible?  Which is the easiest to work with and  or
learn?
    Thanks, John

------------------------------ IMPORTANT NOTICE - AVIS IMPORTANT
------------------------------
Computer viruses can be transmitted via email. Recipient should check this
email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. Sender and sender
company accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by
this email.
This email transmission and any accompanying attachments contain confidential
information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
Any dissemination, distribution, copying or action taken in reliance on the
contents of this email by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please immediately delete
it and  notify sender at the above email address.

Le courrier electronique peut etre porteur de virus informatiques.  Le
destinataire doit donc passer le present courriel et les pieces qui y sont
jointes au detecteur de virus.  L' expediteur et son employeur declinent toute
responsabilite pour les dommages causes par un virus contenu dans le courriel.
Le present message et les pieces qui y sont jointes contiennent des
renseignements confidentiels destines uniquement a la personne ou a l'
organisme nomme ci-dessus.  Toute diffusion, distribution, reproduction ou
utilisation comme reference du contenu du message par une autre personne que le
destinataire est formellement interdite.  Si vous avez recu ce courriel par
erreur, veuillez le detruire immediatement et en informer l' expediteur a l'
adresse ci-dessus.