Apache On Linux: 500 Internal Server Error

  • From: "Homme, James" <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:44:47 -0400

Hi,
In following the instructions about how to get a Drupal 6 site up and running,
I copied my files up to my server and tried to browse the site for the first
time. I got a 500 internal server error and never even opened the index.php
file as far as I know. I'm guessing that this is not truly an Apache problem,
because I kept the old collection of files and I can browse them with no
problem. I was just trying to stick in the latest Drupal 6 from scratch since
the previous version was never set up in the first place all the way.

On further investigation I found that when I unpacked the files with the tar
program, they were given extremely tight permissions. I could easily see that I
was going to have issues when I was the only one given permission to do
anything with the files and directories.

I'm now trying to guess the right permissions for the files. I found a page
that talks about this on Drupal.org, but didn't bookmark it. Let's say that
when I correct the file permission issues that I still get the 500 internal
server error. How do I find the Apache server error log file, and read it? In
other words, do they put this stuff in standard directories? I'm hoping for a
message with lots of juicy details. In the mean time, I'm going to see if I can
find some explanations somewhere on http://www.apache.org/ about what kinds of
error codes you can get and what they mean.

One thing I'm thinking about is just giving the files and directories full
permissions across the board just to make sure that this is not really a file
permission problem. And after that, I was thinking of changing the permissions
to whatever recommended ones I eventually find on drupal.org once I can browse
everything OK.

Am I anywhere in the ball park on how to proceed with this?

Thanks.

Jim

Thanks.

Jim
Jim Homme,
Usability Services,
Phone: 412-544-1810. Skype: jim.homme
Internal recipients,  Read my accessibility
blog<http://mysites.highmark.com/personal/lidikki/Blog/default.aspx>. Discuss
accessibility
here<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/default.aspx>.
Accessibility Wiki: Breaking news and accessibility
advice<http://collaborate.highmark.com/COP/technical/accessibility/Accessibility%20Wiki/Forms/AllPages.aspx>