Re: Announcing Sodbeans: A call for participation

  • From: Andreas Stefik <stefika@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 13:31:30 -0700

To the list,

Over the last week, I've received an enormous amount of off-list email
regarding the blind programming project going on at Central Washington
University. First, I would like to thank the community for their passionate
literally, overflowing, it is possible that I've missed someone or not sent
the latest email on how to setup collaboration with our team on the project.

If you've emailed and not received a response, I apologize, as it is not
intentional. If you have emailed, and received a response, but did not
receive details of how to get involved with our development team, I am
putting in the information below just in case I missed you:

In short, I would like to welcome anyone from this list that would like to
help make the state-of-the-art for the blind better. The easiest way for you
to get involved is to make a source forge account and join the brand new (as
of today) sodbeans-developer mailing list. This should make it easier to get
folks collaborating with everyone else that has expressed interest.

   1. Go online to sourceforge.net and make a user account.

Once you have made an account, you will need to email me your username so
that we can add you officially to the development list for the project. This
will give you access to look at all of our code, materials, and other
details, and will give you substantially more information. As a volunteer,
you would have substantial freedom to contribute in only the ways that
interest you (if any). As for a paid worker, my colleagues and I are still
figuring out the details of if/how to incorporate that into our grant.

   1. Sign up for the sodbeans mailing list at:

Many individuals having been emailing from all over the country, asking to
contribute, and if we all use the sodbeans mailing list, it should be much
easier for us to collaborate on the project and get more people involved in
creating more effective tools and technologies for the blind.
Thanks again for the overwhelming support, and I hope to see many of you on
the sodbeans mailing list, and even better, helping us to improve
accessibility of our programming environment in any way that you are
interested in.

Andreas