Re: Accessible Entity Relationship and Data Flow Diagrams

  • From: Bill Cox <waywardgeek@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 05:41:55 -0400

I'm not blind, but I use a free program for most of my C coding which
generates C data structures from a C-like database description text
file.  It also can generate entity-relationship diagrams
automatically.  I've attached the text input, and the diagram it
generates.  I don't have any answer for flow diagrams.  The program is
DataDraw, at:

    datadraw.sourceforge.net

To generate the diagram, I used vim to create the Example.dd file.
The dataview tool generates a postscript file, and I used ps2pdf to
create a PDF file.

This tool isn't for creating SQL databases, and it has different
features than SQL entity-relationship diagram editors.  For example,
it doesn't have any way to describe mutually exclusive relationships.
However, it's pretty close.

For about 15 years, programmers I worked with used a graphical
entity-relationship diagram editor to create these database
descriptions.  A couple years ago, I rewrote the whole tool to use
text-entry for the description and the tool to generate the diagrams
automatically.  Our productivity wasn't much different either way, but
it's better to edit text, and then generate the diagrams.  That way,
you can at least have some control over how the diagrams look.  I
found that it was impossible to get people to put any time into making
their diagrams readable, so the human-generated ones were pretty bad.
It also took more time to edit the diagrams than a text file.

Of course, now most programmers I work with don't bother with the
diagrams at all.  I still do, but I'm very visual.  Whenever I do a
new project, I like to describe the data structures in a text file,
and then print out the entity-relationship diagram.  I keep it on my
desk while writing the new project.  I've attached DataDraw's own
entity-relationship diagram and database description text file as a
more complex example.  The entity-relationship diagram can be read
like a map, showing sighted users how to most easily get from one
place in the database to another.

Bill