Re: Accessible Calendars

  • From: "RicksPlace" <ofbgmail@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 10:16:21 -0400

Hi Guys: Well, I looked at the IGoogle calendar but they wanted me to sign up for an account and I skipped that option since it is not as simple as I wanted. I looked at the ASP Calendar control and it might be flexible enough to do allot with since you can get all kinds of information in the rendering of each date in a event proc. I am still looking into the way the Winforms Calendar control works. There are so many third party versions on Google I have not found anything good yet for the native Calendar or DateTime Picker controls. Ya, all I want is to be able to click something, perhaps an Icon on the desktop, and see a calendar of events for a given month and, of course, the ability to add or modify scheduled events easily. Using a Webpage brings up issues that would slow down the process a little but looks doable enough so far. So, I might get up in the morning, click a desktop icon and see the date, time and what thinghs are scheduled for the day, the week, month or year. I would like to be able to select months, weeks or years and present the output in whatever form would be the fastest for the job at hand. For example, a TreeView of the current or next month with links for each upcoming event and the ability to add or change the schedule. Perhaps a textbox to enter a date and get the Day of week, if it is a holiday or see if there any scheduled times already set up for that date and stuff like that. I can use a simple SQLCe Database for the data store and, with the ASP control, do the job it seems. Now I am trying to see if I can do something with the Winforms version to avoid having to either have the calendar run in a browser or in the test browser of VWD. Perhaps I will code up my own scheduling thingy but I only really wanted to use something already built that would do all that, guess it just isn't there. Well, thanks guys and I will post up if I decide to code my own project to handle my daily stuff like a Calendar schedular, phone book and whatever else would be something really fast to use instead of bouncing around between Windows Folders and, or, external webpages just to do what I would think should be a Desk-Top application. If not, I might write a webpage to do all that since it seems ASP has the best controls, most accessible too, for doing things of this nature. Either that or, just keep notes in Windows folders as I do now - that works but is not elegant nor fast as I would like before my first cup of coffee in the morning. I would also like not to have to log on to a website but could work around that by just putting a shortcut to my webpage on the desktop but would then have to publish a Website, sigh.

Rick USA
----- Original Message ----- From: "DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26" <jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>