RE: Accessibility of software for degree

  • From: "Manish Agrawal" <manish10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:20:53 +0530

Out of the list below, I've tried argo UML some time ago and couldn't get it
to work with any screen readers I had. I was able to use magic draw instead
which gives you pretty much everything argo UML does. Magic draw itself is
java based and it had a pretty steep learning curve for me, not to mention
working in magic draw was extremely tedious and time consuming. I only did
the bare minimum of what I was required to do.

There was also a project out of Germany called TDub that was abandoned mid
way. If you can find a working copy of TDub on Google, that will sometimes
help you read the UML diagrams produced by argo UML and magic draw.

The way I approached this during my studies was that I convinced the
teachers that what was important was that I was learning object oriented
design and not the actual tool that I used for UML. Learning UML was
important though because that allows you to share your design with others.
 I used to write up my design in text or in code as classes and either
reverse engineer using visual studio to generate class diagrams or take
sighted assistance to draw the actual diagrams.

good luck.

-Manish

  _____