AW: Programing for iOS

  • From: "Heiko Folkerts" <heiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2015 21:13:35 +0100

Hi Jessica,
well first of all you should have a kind of idea what you want to program.
Learning goes far easier when you have an application in mind. Since you
have a website it may be interesting to do some html or php first. You
should look for a tutorial that starts with a hello word program. Those kind
of programs are usually the first program one writes in a new language.

In general it would be the easiest thing to start off with some console
programming - that means to write a programm that just writes and reads data
tot he command promt and from the keyboard.

Just copy the following lines bgetween the lines with dashes (but not the
dash lines themselve into an text editor and save the file as test.bat.
------------------------------
rem first program
echo this is a line of output
rem the next line will make the program wait until the user presses any key.
pause
echo another line of output
rem wait again for a key
pause
----------------------------
Save the file to a location that is easy to reach e.g. c:\test.bat

Now open a command prompt by pressing Windows+r and type cmd followed by
entere.
You will be in the command prompt now.
Type the full filename like so
C:\test.bat
And press enter.
You will see the above program run. It is a very simple program and it
should be clear what is going on. The program is executed line by line and
consists of
Comments that start with the word rem
Outputs that start with the word echo
And waits for input of any key with the word pause.

Such a program is called a batch file.

Try experimenting with the comands - changing texts, deleting and adding
lines etc. When your done you have a very very basic understanding of
programming. You could proceed by embedding commands that are available in
DOS and therefore also in the command prompt. Here are just some to get you
started
Dir
Cd \users
Cd ..
Copy c:\test.bat c:\testbackup.bat
Del c:\testbackup.bat

You can call up a help for theese commands by typing
Hbelp command
e.g.
help dir
in the command prompt. The contents oft he help may be a bit complicated but
give it a try - it won't hurt you.

I hope that will give you a kick start and ensure you that you are able to
program. A Link in HTML is much simpler than the above commands.

Hth
Heiko