Re: ARIA Elements in CSS

  • From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:32:59 +0100

Peter, you might want to ask ARIA questions on the free-aria mailing list:
http://groups.google.com/group/free-aria

You'll have to get past Google's audio captcha to sign up, or use WebVisum.

>  how to include ARIA definitions on a CSS
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for. You can't define ARIA roles or properties from within CSS, but you can create CSS rules that are based on ARIA properties. You have to use attribute selectors, e.g.
[role="main"] { border: 1px solid red; }
or
[aria-pressed] { background-color: grey; color: white; }

I don't recall which IE version started supporting attribute selectors, but it's partially supported in IE 7, and fully supported in IE 8. The difference is that in IE 8 if you change the attribute after the page was first loaded, it will update the view if there is an associated CSS rule.

- Aaron

On 1/17/2009 11:18 PM, Peter Donahue wrote:
Good afternoon everyone,

     This month's FS Cast discussed the use of ARIA, a methodology used to
improve the accessibility of Rich Internet Applications, (RIAS.) ARIA is an
acronym for Accessible Rich Internet Applications. If you visited
www.bookshare.org since it was relaunched earlier this week you'll know that
they've enhanced their site navigation by implementing ARIA on that site.
I'm all ready playing with the "Role" element and tested it on an affiliate
site template and was pleased with the results. I'mcurious to know if anyone
has examples of how to include ARIA definitions on a CSS. From what I've
seen thus far some pseudoclasses would need to be created to designate page
landmarks as has been done on the new Bookshare Web Site.

     ARIA has other attributes that can be used to enhance the accessibility
of Web sites and applications that are quite exciting. Let me encourage
everyone to listen to FS Cast 26; even if you're not a JAWS User. The
information about ARIA and Web 2.0. You can hear or download the podcast at:
http://www.freedomscientific.com

  This information will be very useful in the future as the Web changes and
accessibiliyty eveolves to address these needs.

Peter Donahue