A 'funny' example of how different forms of spelling affect programming syntax

  • From: Jacob Kruger <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:31:30 +0200

Using wxPython, I was retyping sample code from some tutorial materials,
and jaws was reading the name of a function to me related to inserting a
menu seperator inbetween menu items just like that:
.AppendSeperator

whereas it seems to actually be spelt

.AppendSeparator

Now, if I think about the different meanings of the two forms of spelling
seperate and separate - where I think the one would be more related to the
noun/object, and the other is more relative to the activity/verb, it's hard
for me to decide which of the spellings should have been used in this
regard, and, FWIW, it's actually AppendSeparator - think that's more
relevant to an object/item/noun, but could be wrong there as well.

BTW, this is also similar to when it took me a little while to figure out
why another piece of code wouldn't run - was, as per usual assuming that in
this type of context, the american spelling of center would be
relevant/made use of instead of the other version, centre that we use this
side, and which I think/suppose also gets used more in areas like
europe/UK, etc., but anyway - just think that in general I would sort of
assume american spelling versions had been made use of in something like
this, but anyway...<smile>

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker