[program-java] Safari Books Online

  • From: "J. R. Westmoreland" <jr@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 15:47:03 -0700

If you are a subscriber to the Safari Books Online for access to technical
books you had better go look at your subscription.

They have created a new site which is now all Adobe Flash, in the name of
making it accessible and high fidelity for print viewing, and it is no
longer very usable.

They have made it so you can move to the page and have it read speech but
once on the page you can only seem to move a twelfth of a page at a time and
the speech access limitation doesn't allow you to stop and restart speech
very easily.

If you are a Braille user it is not usable at all.

The output is one continuous line of information. That means no breaks, no
formatting, etc.

The old site used to be HTML and worked great. When I called and suggested
that they put the old HTML site back for screen reading I was told that they
weren't, as far as that person knew, even considering doing that.

If this effects you, you should immediately call them and register your
concern.

If not, maybe you should get a trial subscription for 14 days and complain
about the access to the site. <grin>

Thanks,

J. R.