[program-java] Re: Java certification

  • From: "Jeffrey Fidler" <jeffrey.fidler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:56:22 -0400

Hi, Jim. It used to be this way at the company I am presently employed, but they have pretty much phased out internal traning, and have found that without the credibility of a Java certification for the senior developers, much of the more senior work was being handled by the much more expensive contractors that were hired to fill in the gaps. (Much of the time, these contractors did not carry the required skills themselves, and were being paid 25-40% more than the full timers!) This is all very recent -- a transition over the past 3 or 4 years, really. Much of it is related to the need for the large corporation to get the most bang out of its employee buck, if we are to believe the powers that be. I think it also provides a baseline in terms of skillset so they are able to offload the cost of technical folks taking time away from project work to do interviews and evaluate job candidates for senior positions more generally. After all, one can fake up a resume and professional references with some degree of confidence as the looming overhead cost in time (and therefore money) can be substantial if there is some doubt in the prospective employer's mind, but one cannot fake up the Sun certification as easily: it is either on record with Sun or it is not.

- Jeff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Corbett, James" <James.Corbett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>